You’ve heard you can’t judge a book by its cover. But the truth is, if a book doesn’t have a good cover, most people won’t even reach for it. The same can be said about elearning. Good visual design compels the learner to go deeper and learn more; and it reassures them the course is valuable and worth their time.
The course’s visual design is a powerful tool for setting the tone, communicating key concepts, and engaging your audience. I’d even say it’s critical to your course’s success. Because regardless of how thorough and accurate your content, people won’t want to experience it if it looks bad.
In the posts below, you’ll learn some visual design basics that make for more effective communication. You’ll also get practical graphic design tips and tricks so that you can build the right type of graphics for your courses.
Communicate with Good Visual Design
Graphic Design for Your E-Learning Courses
- Are You Looking for an Easy Way to Make Your Courses Look Interesting?
- 3 Sure-Fire Ways to Make Your E-Learning Graphics Sizzle
- 3 Easy Ways to Create Silhouette Characters
- 5 Ways to Use Silhouette Graphics in Your E-Learning Course
- Blur Your Course Into Focus
- See How Easily You Can Create Graphics in PowerPoint
- Here’s How to Get Past a Screen Full of Bullet Points
Resources to Help You Build Better Graphics
- 10 Sure-Fire Tips for Creating Your Own Stock Photos
- How to Find Stock Images for Your E-Learning Course without Breaking the Bank
- Over 100 Free Handwritten Fonts
- 9 Free Tools That Help Me Build Better E-Learning
Upcoming Events (2015)
- Vancouver & Toronto Workshops: We’re planning a couple of workshops in Toronto & Vancouver. If you’re interested, let us know. Click here for more details.
- January 28-29 (London, UK). I’ll be at Learning Technologies, swing by the Articulate booth #42 to say “Hi.”
- January 30 (London, UK). Doing a couple of seminars on building interactive elearning. Click here to register.
- February 10 & 11 (Omaha, NE). Sign up for one day or both:
Day 1: How to Build Interactive E-Learning
Day 2: Use Articulate Storyline to Build Interactive E-Learning
- March 10 & 11 (Phoenix, AZ). Registration page coming soon.
Day 1: How to Build Interactive E-Learning with Articulate Storyline
Day 2: Articulate Storyline Brainteasers
- March 25-27 (Orlando, FL). Learning Solutions. Swing by the Articulate booth to say “Hello.”
- April 15 & 16 (Chicago, IL). Details coming soon.
- May 17-20 (Orlando, FL). ATD International Conference & Expo. Swing by the Articulate booth to say “Hello.”
- June 3 & 4 (San Francisco, CA). Registration page coming soon.
Day 1: Learn to Create Your Own E-Learning Assets
Day 2: Use Storyline to Build Interactive E-Learning
- Other locations include: Philadelphia, Portland, Atlanta, Vancouver, and Toronto.
E-learning Community News
- Learn: Want to learn more about elearning? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
- Get hired: Job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs (updated weekly)
- Participate: Weekly challenges to sharpen your skills and show off what you’ve done. Great way to learn and get feedback.
- Resources: Free PowerPoint templates, free elearning templates, and free e-books. Updated all the time.
- Inspiration: Cool elearning examples.