If you’re like me, when you use PowerPoint to build your rapid elearning courses, you end up doing a lot of copying and pasting of objects. Or you seem to be inserting the same images over and over again. Well, here’s a tip that’s going to save you time and make your life a whole lot easier. Your family will love you, coffee will taste better in the morning, and "three little birds will line up on your door step, singin’ sweet songs of melodies pure and true."
Understand the Clipboard
When you copy an object, it gets loaded into a clipboard. The clipboard is a temporary area that holds the copied information. This allows you to go to a different location and paste the clipboard object.
Use the Clipboard as a Temporary Library of Objects
Most people already know how to copy and paste objects on the screen. In fact, my guess is that it is one of the most frequently used features in PowerPoint during the production process.
What most people don’t know is that the clipboard can hold up to 24 items. This comes in handy because you can preload it with all sorts of content. Then when you need it, open the clipboard and paste it on the slide.
The steps are real simple:
- Click on and copy your object: CTRL+C. This loads it into your clipboard.
- Open your clipboard. You can find the clipboard by pressing ALT+E, then B.
- The clipboard is open and shows you all of the objects that are loaded in it. When you need one, click on it and it will paste onto screen. It’s as simple as that.
Check out the Tutorial
If you find that you’re always copying and pasting the same stuff, this is a time saving tip. To really get a sense of how ii works, just watch this quick tutorial that I put together. It gives you an idea of how using the clipboard can make production a lot faster.
Feel free to share any tips and tricks that you use by clicking on the comments section.
Upcoming Events (2015)
- April 15 & 16 (Chicago, IL). Updated! Register for one or both days.
Day 1: How to Build Interactive E-Learning
Day 2: Use Articulate Storyline to Build Interactive E-Learning
- May 17-20 (Orlando, FL). ATD International Conference & Expo. Swing by the Articulate booth to say “Hello.”
- June 3 & 4 (San Francisco, CA). Updated! Register for one or both days.
Day 1: Learn to Create Your Own E-Learning Assets
Day 2: Use Storyline to Build Interactive E-Learning
- June 12 (Austin, TX). Use Storyline to Build Interactive E-Learning. Updated! Register here.
Elearning Heroes Roadshows
We’re hosting a series of two-day elearning workshops that focus on practical tips and tricks. You can register for one day or two days.
Complete this form if you’re interested in presenting or want to submit an idea for a presentation. Presenters attend the workshop for free.
- Toronto: June 17 & 18
- Seattle: August 4 & 5
- Vancouver: September 23 & 24
- Philadelphia: October 28 & 29
E-learning Community News
- Learn: Want to learn more about elearning? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
- Get hired: Job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
- Participate: Weekly challenges to sharpen your skills and show off what you’ve done. Great way to learn and get feedback.
- Resources: Free PowerPoint templates, free elearning templates, and free e-books. Updated all the time.
- Inspiration: Cool elearning examples.