LINGOs is looking for volunteers to help some of its member agencies build elearning courses. Now you can share your instructional design and elearning skills to benefit those organizations that are working to make this world a better place.
The eLearning Guild is sponsoring the E-Learning Global Giveback Competition and will announce five finalist courses and the winner at the Learning Solutions Conference & Expo in March 2010. Check out the links for specific details.
Why Should I Participate?
The obvious reason for participation is that you use the skills and experience that you have and bless others. By doing so, you’re able to help those agencies train their staff and keep their costs low, allowing the money they have to go directly to helping people.
But here are a few more reasons that will also benefit you:
- Build your portfolio. In this industry, you need to be prepared for opportunities. So many of us only work on proprietary content and don’t have a portfolio to share. Well, here’s your opportunity to create a portfolio project you can share.
- Step away from the cubicle. Are you stuck in an organization where you have to do the same type of boring elearning courses and would like to do something more? Now you can. Do more than boring, click-and-read courses. Take on one of these projects and try out some of your interactive ideas.
- Put up or shut up. One of my big pet peeves is all of the critics of boring elearning who never seem to produce any of their own work. There’s a lot of talk, but little action. Well, here’s your chance. If you have an answer to boring elearning, let us see what you can do.
Who Should Participate?
Anyone can participate, but here’s who I’d recommend take a stab at this.
- Instructional design students. Are you in a master’s or elearning certification program? Why not take on one of these projects? You don’t need to do it by yourself. Instead do it with some other students as a school project. If you do decide to pursue this, let me know.
- E-learning freelancers. I get a lot of emails from people wanting more exposure and experience. Here’s the perfect opportunity. Plus, it’s a project you can put in your portfolio. And imagine the doors that can open if you get recognized or even win.
- Small elearning companies. This is the perfect opportunity to get some much needed exposure. Even if you don’t win, your courses will be out there and something you can point to. And if you do win (or make the top five) that’s even better.
Are you up to the challenge? If you’re interested, contact Eric Berg [eric at lingos.org] or look over the list of courses and contact the agency. If you’d like to help but want to partner with someone else, leave some contact information in the comments link or contact me and I’ll see if I can get you connected.
If you do participate, let me know. I’d love to see what you do and maybe feature it in a blog post. Happy Holidays and may you have a blessed New Year!