Recently I was looking for some free textures. While it’s easy to find “free” textures it’s not easy to find free textures that are really free.
A lot of sites that give things away for free often have stipulations that they’re only free for personal use. Yeah, right! Like I need those free stock images for the elearning courses I’m building at home.
Today I am sharing some sites where you can find free textures (and other assets) that can be used for commercial work. Since the licensing terms may change, be sure to read them before using for commercial projects. However, at the time this post was published all of the sites allow free commercial use.
Lost & Taken: lots of cool textures. I really like the quality of what they share.
Texture King: not a massive selection, but they’re high quality.
Design Instruct: another great collection of free textures. Also has some good articles on design.
Media Militia: all sorts of cool free assets to go with the free textures.
Deviant Art is also a good resource. They have a lot of members who give away free assets. But you’ll have to look over their agreements individually.
If you search, you’ll find all sorts of other sites to find free textures. What I found though is that most of them pull from the four sites above. So why not go to the source? The sites above are vetted and should be good to go for your next elearning course.
If you’re a user of free textures (or other free online assets) be sure to give props to the person who provided the resources. Share the love via a blog post. Or perhaps you can tweet the link or make a comment on Facebook.
How do you find free textures that are free for commercial use? Share your comments here.
Upcoming Events (2015)
- Vancouver & Toronto Workshops: We’re planning a couple of workshops in Toronto & Vancouver. If you’re interested, let us know. Click here for more details.
- January 28-29 (London, UK). I’ll be at Learning Technologies, swing by the Articulate booth #42 to say “Hi.”
- January 30 (London, UK). Doing a couple of seminars on building interactive elearning. Click here to register.
- February 10 & 11 (Omaha, NE). Sign up for one day or both:
Day 1: How to Build Interactive E-Learning
Day 2: Use Articulate Storyline to Build Interactive E-Learning
- March 10 & 11 (Phoenix, AZ). Registration page coming soon.
Day 1: How to Build Interactive E-Learning with Articulate Storyline
Day 2: Articulate Storyline Brainteasers
- March 25-27 (Orlando, FL). Learning Solutions. Swing by the Articulate booth to say “Hello.”
- April 15 & 16 (Chicago, IL). Details coming soon.
- May 17-20 (Orlando, FL). ATD International Conference & Expo. Swing by the Articulate booth to say “Hello.”
- June 3 & 4 (San Francisco, CA). Registration page coming soon.
Day 1: Learn to Create Your Own E-Learning Assets
Day 2: Use Storyline to Build Interactive E-Learning
- Other locations include: Philadelphia, Portland, Atlanta, Vancouver, and Toronto.
E-learning Community News
- Learn: Want to learn more about elearning? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
- Get hired: Job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs (updated weekly)
- Participate: Weekly challenges to sharpen your skills and show off what you’ve done. Great way to learn and get feedback.
- Resources: Free PowerPoint templates, free elearning templates, and free e-books. Updated all the time.
- Inspiration: Cool elearning examples.